What Content Marketers Need to Know About Podcasting

0

Podcasts are still on the rise, and their prevalence shows no signs of slowing down. In 2021, there were over 115 million podcast listeners in the United States, and that number is expected to grow. So it’s no surprise that many marketers are considering increasing their spending in this medium; according to a recent study, around 40% said they would increase their investment in audio. But despite the rosy outlook, many content marketers are still hesitant about podcasting. Some worry about the effort to create them, and others doubt their effectiveness. Casted, an amplified marketing platform, recently released its “State of Content Marketing Report” and found that only around 30% of respondents consider podcasts to be an impactful tool. What is the other 70% of content marketers missing?

Make a podcast an effective marketing channel

Creating a podcast is a good start, but it’s not enough for marketing success. According to Lindsay Tjepkema, CEO and co-founder of Casted, “where companies fail is in amplifying their podcasts.” They launch their audio content but don’t do enough. Marketers “break [podcasts] in smaller clips, quotes, takeaways and amplification [them] on other channels like social media posts, blogs and emails,” says Tjepkema. “There is a huge opportunity to not only realize the power of podcasts, but also to maximize their value by expanding their reach across other channels.”

Carolyn Chapin, Senior Director, Global Demand Generation at LogicGate, says creating a podcast is just the beginning. “Marketers should turn podcast episodes into SEO-optimized blogs to drive web traffic and video content for social media,” she says. “Take the best quotes and snippets from each episode and share them as short clips with targeted captions on social media.”

Chapin also points out that using audio content as a marketing tool takes patience. “Podcasts aren’t the best lead generation tool or a quick pipeline builder,” she says. “Sending an email saying ‘listen to our latest podcast’ won’t get you many clicks, leads, and new listeners.” Instead, she advises focusing on bringing listeners to your audio content organically. Generate word of mouth traffic by “getting[ting] your sales team to recommend relevant episodes during the sales process, bring[ing] on industry influencers as guests and be[ing] thought about asking them to promote it and encourage them[ing] your passionate listeners to spread the word in their communities.

When podcasts are the right marketing choice

Podcasts can be an effective tool for marketing various products. For example, authors can promote books through podcast interviews and, just as effectively, businesses can grow their brands by facilitating conversations relevant to their industries. Tjepkema says podcasts are a good choice when brands want to “showcase thought leadership” and change their relationship with potential customers. “Podcasts are effective for any brand that wants to connect with an audience in a richer, more authentic, and more human way,” she says. “That connection cultivates relationships, which breeds trust. This trust leads to customers and loyalty.

Podcasting for Marketers Short on Time and Resources

Traders are busy. And many don’t have optimally sized teams or budgets. In this context, getting started with podcasting can seem daunting. They wonder how they’ll find the time to book guests, facilitate conversations, and learn how to record and broadcast high-quality listening. These are valid concerns, but what they need to know is that a small piece of audio content can go a long way.

According to Tjepkema, marketers should “focus on creating” and deliver a podcast “that really resonates on a human level.” She believes that the substance of the audio content matters much more than its production quality. A successful podcast created for marketing purposes doesn’t have to be expensive with a significant time investment in production. “It just has to be relevant to your audience and provide them with something interesting,” she explains.

Measure effectiveness

When marketers are ready to venture into podcasting, they will need to justify their investment with results. Quantifying the effectiveness of podcasts can sometimes be tricky, but Chapin has some tips for where to start. She suggests focusing on reach and asks marketers to “track new listeners and social mentions.” She also appreciates qualitative ideas. “Sales and customer success teams can be a great source of feedback,” she says. “Are customers and prospects talking about the podcast? Every time we hear stories from the field or directly from our customers saying they love the podcast, we consider it a win and we know it helps our brand stick more. »

Share.

Comments are closed.