WEEK OF MEETING
Two of last year’s NCAA Championship contenders will face off in a top-four showdown this week as the Utah No.4 hosts Oklahoma No.3 on Friday, Jan. 14. The Utes and Sooners will face off at 7:30 p.m. MT at the Jon M Huntsman Center, while presentations are scheduled to begin at 7:15 p.m. The meet will be televised nationally on ESPN2 with John Roethlisberger and Alicia Sacramone Quinn on the ‘call. The top four game will also air on Utah’s flagship radio ESPN 700, while live stats can be found here.
FOR THE FANS
The Utah home opening will be its “Fan Appreciation Meet”. Trading cards for three of the Red Rocks will be handed out in the lobby prior to the game, while the first 1,500 fans will receive an American First Credit Union fan jersey. There will also be pom poms in the lobby for fans to collect. Fans are encouraged to arrive early for the presentations at 7:15 p.m. and be in their seats to have last year’s Pac-12 Championship banner unveiled, along with the NCAA third-place banner, ahead of the game. . All fans in attendance are required to wear a mask at the Huntsman Center due to Salt Lake County’s mandatory mask mandate.
DIGITAL TICKETS AND PARKING
Tickets and parking will be scanned on match day using the ticket holder’s mobile device. Tickets can also be transferred to others by email. Fans are encouraged to download their tickets and parking passes to their wallet on iPhone or Android devices, and present them upon arrival at the parking lot to speed up the entry process. Step-by-step instructions for the process have been provided to season ticket holders via email and can be viewed online by logging into a season ticket owner’s account and selecting “Manage Tickets” from the drop-down menu. , under Tickets.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Including the 2022 season opener, Utah has only reached the 197 opener mark four times in program history. Utah’s other three seasons hit a 197 or higher were 2005, 2018, and 2019.
• Utah was one of five teams to score 197,000 or more in the season opener.
• Utah was one of six teams to score 49,000 or more in all four events.
• Utah scored 49.325 on vault in the season opener and had only done better twice last season.
• Utah Gymnastics broke their school and NCAA attendance records in the 2020 season, averaging 15,273 fans per game heading into the 2021 season without a home crowd.
• Utah are 481-27 at home, which includes a 39-1 record while Tom farden was head coach of the Utes.
• Jillian hoffman appeared in the vault roster for the first time in her career at the Best of Utah.
• All four of Ute’s freshmen took part in the season opener as Grace McCallum participated in the general competition, Kara Eaker competed on the beam and the floor, Amelia Morgan competed on bars and beam, while Sage thompson debuts in bars.
• Utah is ranked third on beam (49.375), fourth on vault (49.325), seventh on bars (49.225) and eighth on floor (49.175).
• Utah has completed 22-24 routines this season. Gymnasts who have passed all the routines are Alexia burch (1-1), Kara Eaker (2-2), Cammy Room (1-1), Jillian hoffman (1-1), Isa crystal (2-2), Amelia Morgan (2-2), Maile O’Keefe (2-2), Jaedyn Rucker (2-2), Sydney Soloski (1-1), and Sage thompson (1-1).
• The winners of the individual events this season are Isa (2), McCallum (1), O’Keefe (1) and Rucker (1).
SHORTS OF THE SERIES
Utah leads the all-time series with Oklahoma 28-13 (11-0 at Salt Lake City). Utah last hosted Oklahoma at the Jon M. Huntsman Center as part of the 1992 NCAA Regional, while the last regular season reunion in Salt Lake City was on February 17, 1992. Utah a beat the Sooners twice at home. Although Utah leads the overall series, the Utes have lost the last eight games to the Sooners, which includes all but one upcoming NCAA Championship game. Last year, in the teams’ first regular-season meeting since 1992, Oklahoma edged Utah 197.025-196.550 in Norman, Okla.
Coach: KJ Kindler (16th season)
Rank 2022: 3
2021 final ranking: 2
Notes: Oklahoma returns 14 gymnasts from the 2021 NCAA finalist team who combined for nine All-America honors… The Sooners were ranked No. 3 in the WCGA preseason poll, marking the seventh consecutive season ranked in the top three… Oklahoma posted a score of 197.400 in its first game of the season and was led by Audrey Davis 39.325 in the all-around… The Sooners are second on bars (49.475), third on floor (49.450), fifth on jump (49.300) and sevenths on beam (49.175).
Season tickets are on sale now with limited lower bowl seats available, as well as an upgrade process available for those with season tickets looking to move seats. Visit Utah Tickets to get your tickets now and secure your spot at all five home games this season. Single meet tickets are also available here.
Utah will begin the Pac-12 game next Friday, Jan. 21, hosting the Arizona State Sun Devils. The opening of Pac-12 for the Red Rocks will begin at 7:00 p.m. MT and will be televised on the Pac-12 networks.