The Indian Home Diner in Paddington is allowed to trade until 3am after the council overturns its decision

0

A cult favorite Sydney restaurant has been ‘rescued’ after Woollahra Council reversed course and decided that late night Indian kebabs were in the public interest after all, agreeing to let the restaurant trade until 3 morning hours on weekends.

The Indian Home Diner on Oxford Street, Paddington, has become a Sydney institution with a loyal following of suburban revelers on their way home from the city. Garlic cheese “#5” is the favorite for mopping up booze.

The beloved Indian kebab shop has won its battle to stay open after midnight, after attracting high-profile supporters.Credit:Nick Moire

The store had been handing out carby and butter chicken-filled naan rolls until the early hours for years, apparently in violation of its development permission. Following a complaint, the council cracked down earlier this year, imposing a midnight closing.

The board later rejected the restaurant’s first request to extend its trading hours to 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, citing possible noise issues and saying it was “not in the business”. ‘public interest’ that the restaurant opens until 3 am.

Such was the cultural cachet of the restaurant that a popular community Instagram page, Bondi Lines, took up the fight and was soon joined by then-candidates for Wentworth’s federal seat, Dave Sharma and Allegra Spender. Spender, now an MP, called the restaurant a “national treasure”.

The restaurant asked for a formal review and at a meeting on Tuesday evening Woollahra council relented and approved the restaurant to trade until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights. Planning officers said the proposal was in the public interest and would have no negative social impact.

Popular Instagram community page Bondi Lines took over for

Popular Instagram community page Bondi Lines took over to “rescue” the restaurant from the new rules.Credit:instagram

Liberal Councilor Sean Carmichael, who in May filed a petition with more than 4,000 signatures supporting the restaurant, said it was a magnificent result and ‘a beloved slice of Oxford Street has, for once, been saved “.

But he said the case was a lightning rod for “widespread public anger” over the decline of Oxford Street and Sydney nightlife due to over-regulation.

Share.

Comments are closed.