Paul Pelosi released from hospital a week after attack


House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said her husband, Paul Pelosi, was discharged from hospital on Thursday after being treated for injuries caused by a violent assault last week in which he was attacked with a hammer.

Pelosi said: “Paul remains under the care of doctors as he continues to progress through a long process of recovery and convalescence. He is now at home.

Law enforcement officers responding to the break-in last Friday witnessed Paul Pelosi being hit in the head with the hammer at least once, according to court documents. Officials said the assault was caught on the officers’ body cameras.

Pelosi was taken to Zuckerberg General Hospital in San Francisco. President Pelosi said her husband was grateful to the 911 operator who directed police to the family residence, emergency responders and all hospital staff for their “excellent and compassionate life-saving treatment.” .

“The Pelosi family is grateful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support and prayers from around the world,” she said.

Paul Pelosi’s discharge from hospital comes as a federal official says the Canadian man accused of breaking into their home and attacking it should have been reported by immigration officials and prevented from returning to the United States after overstaying its permitted entry more than two decades ago.

David DePape, 42, entered the United States legally in 2000 and then left the country and returned several times, including entering the San Diego border crossing in San Diego in March 2008, said a US official who s spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

Most Canadians are not required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as tourists and can stay for up to six months. The official said it was not clear why US authorities admitted DePape after he overstayed his entry in 2000.

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to questions about DePape entering the United States after violating immigration law. He acknowledged in a statement that DePape had been cleared into San Diego from Tijuana on March 8, 2008, but did not address any other entries.

San Francisco police said DePape took on Paul Pelosi at the family home in Pacific Heights on October 28 and demanded to know the whereabouts of the Speaker of the House. DePape pleaded not guilty to the charges against the state on Tuesday and was sentenced to detention without bail. Her public defender, Adam Lipson, said he looked forward to providing her with a “vigorous legal defense”.

DePape faces charges of attempted murder, burglary and elder abuse. He also faces federal charges, including attempted kidnapping of a US official. His trial will continue on Friday, although the accused will not appear in the courtroom. An indictment on federal charges has not been scheduled.

In the state court filing, prosecutors detailed the attack in stark terms, saying 82-year-old Paul Pelosi was knocked unconscious by the hammer attack and awoke to a pool of his own blood.

DePape grew up in Powell River, British Columbia, but moved to California to be with a girlfriend, his stepfather Gene DePape told The Associated Press last week. He has three children with two wives, he said. Gene DePape said the suspect lived with him in Canada until he was 14 and was a quiet boy.

DePape’s ex-girlfriend, Bay Area nudist activist Oxane “Gypsy” Taub, told the San Francisco Chronicle she met DePape in Hawaii in 2000. The couple lived in Berkeley and had two children during their 15-year relationship.

U.S. officials have long struggled to quantify — let alone track down — people who are entering the country legally and overstaying visas, which is thought to be about 40% of the population who are in the country illegally.

There were 684,499 visa overstays from October 2019 to September 2020 among visitors arriving by plane or boat — more than the population of Vermont or Wyoming — according to the Department of Homeland Security’s latest annual report. The total number of overstays is much larger, but has not been quantified because it does not include the number of people arriving by land, the main way for Canadians and Mexicans to enter the United States. .

The cost and technological hurdles of developing a checkout system at congested land crossings with Canada and Mexico are enormous. In the 12-month period to September 2020, more than 52,000 Canadians who came to the United States by air or sea had overstayed their legally permitted stay.

Despite the challenges, the US official said DePape’s overstay should have been noted in immigration records, which, in theory, should have prevented authorities from admitting him.

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.


Comments are closed.