Clock taken from historic San Antonio home stopped when owner died


The Yturri-Edmunds Historic Site on the South Side, one of the only such adobe houses in San Antonio, may seem like a place frozen in time.

After vicenta edmonds died in 1924, the clock on the mantle in the main living room ceased to measure the passing hours and remained so for 98 years.

Dig deeper: The history of Yturri-Edmunds dates back nearly 300 years

On Saturday, thieves broke down the doors of the 180-year-old house and stole the clock. They vandalized the house, scattering artifacts and ripping out doll heads.

“Why do you have to throw away a piece of San Antonio history that dates back 180 years?” said Vincent Michael, president of the San Antonio Conservation Society, which now owns and manages the property.

The Yturri-Edmunds Historic Site, about a block from the San Antonio River at 128 Mission Road, is a complex of 1800s structures that were originally part of Mission Concepcion. The house was built in the 1850s and the land remained in the Yturri-Edmunds family for almost 140 years.

The house, now decorated with period furniture and functioning as a museum, reflects the heritage and architecture of the Southwestern Hispanic people in the 1800s.

The break-in took place five months after Mission Concepcion and Mission San Juan were robbed and smeared with graffiti, causing extensive damage to historic structures.

More crimes in San Antonio: $58,000 worth of sex toys and lingerie stolen from King William Institute of Sexology

On Sunday afternoon, a tenant who lives on the property discovered that two doors had been kicked in.

“They ripped a lot of things off the shelves, scattered a lot of artifacts, went through some drawers,” Michael said.

On Saturday, thieves broke into the Yturri-Edmunds Historic Site on the south side.

Vincent Michael

Michael said that although nothing of great monetary value was stolen, the clock had special historical and interpretative value.

Vicenta was a descendant of one of the 16 Canarian families who established the first municipal government here in 1731. She is recognized by the Harlandale Independent School District as the first paid teacher in the district’s service area.

Vicenta was also religious and spiritual – she erected a sculpture of the Virgin Mary on the property because her mother had seen a vision of a woman in white there on several occasions.

The clock stopped – at 2:45 p.m. – at the time of Vicenta’s death in 1924. His daughters, Erestine and Josephine, placed letters inside the clock attesting to the fact that the clock had stopped working.

KENS 5who originally reported the story, called the clock “cursed” and asked Michael if he thought “a ghost is following the people who stole this”.

The Express-News also asked Michael if he believed the clock was haunted.

“I’m not going to tell ghost stories,” Michael said.

For Michael, the clock and the handwritten notes are important in telling the story of the house.

Then, before the phone interview was over, someone in the car with Michael said, “It’s as haunted as you want it to be.”

[email protected]


Comments are closed.