SAN BRUNO (CBS SF) — Caltrain officials announced Sunday morning that wreckage from Thursday’s violent crash had been cleared from the crash site and the tracks had reopened.
Caltrain will operate a regular weekend schedule starting Sunday morning after the tracks reopen, ending the bus bridge that had been in place for South San Francisco, San Bruno and Millbrae stations since Thursday morning’s crash.
READ MORE: Oscar-winning actor William Hurt dies at 71
On Saturday, National Transportation Safety Board investigators gave Caltrain the go-ahead to begin removing the train involved in the fire accident.
Caltrain officials said the equipment involved in the collision was part of the system’s ongoing electrification project, but should not have been on the tracks as the commuter train with 75 passengers approached on board.
“All equipment should have been cleared from the tracks as the trains passed,” Caltrain spokesman Dan Lieberman said. “We did construction on the tracks throughout the electrification. This is under investigation.
Federal officials said Friday that the track equipment that was struck by the locomotive was a “work train” consisting of three vehicles – a heavy-duty pickup truck and two flatbed trucks carrying a crane apparatus.
READ MORE: Magnitude 4.1 earthquake shakes South Bay near Soledad
Officials said a fire in one of the work train vehicles was caused by a fuel tank puncture.
The deletion process began on Saturday.
RELATED: NTSB investigators investigate cause of Fiery Caltrain crash
Simultaneously, NTSB investigators continued to search the wreckage, gathering as much evidence about the crash as possible.
NO MORE NEWS: Family of missing Hayward daughter devastated after child’s body found – ‘It could have been avoided’
The train is being moved to a safe location where investigators can continue to examine it, according to an NTSB spokesperson.